1. Be aware of the Conditions of Use, to which you agree by logging on. The two key elements are that you must not lend your access codes and you must use PEP Web only for your personal use. You may not print out or use PEP Web for a university, hospital or other institution as they need to purchase access right themselves.
2. Connect to the Internet. You can download and save or print off material for personal use later but to access PEP Web you must be logged in and connected.
3. Once you are connected open your browser and go to this address (save it as a favourite): https://www.psychoanalystdatabase.com/pages/pg100home.asp.
NOTE: If you use AOL or have Norton Firewall Security enabled please see Trouble shooting below.
The following page should come up on your screen:
4. Log in with your user name (which is your email address) and your unique password (supplied to you). If you have lost your password you will have to email your group administrator (NOT PEP) but we will soon have a new system through which you can ask for a reminder to be sent to your email address. [For these reasons keep your email address up to date on PEP's systems, as outlined below).
5. Once logged in, you will find a screen like this (It will say PEP Web not MAC Web):
6. Should you wish to check and update your address details (which could affect shipment of IJP journals to you so only do this if you want to change your address) then click details, review the situation, click update, make any changes, and click Save. Afte that click Home to get back to the screen above.
7. To get through to PEP Web click: PEP Web and you will see a page similar to this:
8. Now click on the "Link to Product" button. You should pass through to the Archive as below and you should be able to read Log Out on the top right. That is a sign you are authenticated.
9. You should now be able to search and view all text in the PEP archive. Note there will be text beyond the end date of the PEP archive which you will not be able to view unless you have a current content subscription ( click here for further details ).
10. PEP Web is intuitive but it will be worthwhile checking search logic (etc) by clicking HELP.
11. Please remember to log out when you are finished. You also need to remember to log out from your PaDS account. Note, if you want to log back in later the complex interaction between the systems means you may experience difficulties. The best thing to do at this point is to re-boot your computer and start back from Step 1 (logging on to PaDS).
Log on problems
If you have problems, disconnect from the NET, turn off your computer and re-boot. Do the minimum to connect to the Internet and run only your browser. Go through the steps above and note exactly what is happening.
i.Do you log on to the Pads DB OK? (If not the problem is with user name and password)
ii.DO you see the the PEP Web product link?
iii.Do you get through to the Link to Product page?
i v. Did you see this screen with the words Login on the top right hand side?
v. If this has happened do not try putting your PADS userid and password in the boxes provided. Try rebooting your computer and starting again through PADS.
1. Make sure you have a recent version of Internet Explorer (Microsoft) or Netscape. These can be downloaded free. Do not use AOL or other customised browsers. Even if you log on with AOL you can open a normal browser and do not have to use the customised one they give you - they customise it to keep you on their site.
2. Check your firewall. Firewall settings can prevent referrer information (your authentication getting through) to a specific Web page. In the case of Norton Firewall 2003, 2004 or newer, the developers, Symantec have specific instructions they have supplied to us:
Situation: You want Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall to pass referrer information to a specific Web page.
Solution: Some Web pages require referrer information before allowing you to view their page. If you want to allow referrer information to pass to a particular Web page, you must create a rule for it.
To create a rule that permits referrer information
1. Open Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall.
2. Do one of the following.
In Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2003: Click Options > Internet Security, and then click the Web Content tab.
In Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall 2004 or newer: Double-click Privacy Control, and then click Advanced.
3. In the bottom of the Advanced window, click Add Site.
4. In the New Site/Domain box, type the name of the site that you want to receive the referrer information, and click OK. The site name appears in the left frame of the Options window.
5. Click the name of the new site.
6. On the Global Settings tab, under the Information about visited sites section, uncheck Use default settings.
7. Click Permit.
8. Click OK to close the Options window.
When Norton Firewall/Security prompts the user to enter the domain name, please use pep.gvpi.net. It is rather sensitive about using http://pep.gvpi.net or any other variation of the url for PEPweb and it will not allow it to pass through. You will get an error message about invalid characters. Otherwise this should solve the problem.
No one has had a problem after carrying out all these steps! So please check through carefully. If you are still in trouble please email the organizer for your organization, precisely detailing what you did and giving details of your equipment - how you connect to the internet, the computer, operating system, browser version etc. Your own organization will probably be able to solve the problems. PEP cannot undertake to sort out individual computer problems but at the request of your organisation, once the above steps have been followed, our hosting and developing company, GvPI, are committed to ensuring access works as it should.